Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Writer's Journey

Nothing gets me hotter and more worked up than lists of books. If you've found this blog you must be the same way, so in order to titillate your senses today's post will be the lists of books I'm reading and the list of reading material that I acquired yesterday.

Maybe that will be a bigger part of this blog as I get it up and running again. I am a very prolific book buyer. I'm trying to cut back, but it never seems to work. It's just in my blood. I am a reader and a collector.

Books I'm reading this week:

The Writer's Journey - Christopher Volger - This is a classic, so I felt I must read it. It really focuses more or films than books, but still it should be an interesting read on how to tell a story.

The Modern Library Writer's Workshop - Stephen Koch - This is a little gem I found at the library. It is awesome. It's one of those literary books that tells you to go for it. Just write. Write in your own style and don't worry about being right or wrong. Find your voice and start yelling with it. I like this book. I'm not very deep into it, but I like the tone and I'll read the whole thing.

A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens - I'm going to give this a go. It's not technically on my reading list this month, but I keep seeing it referenced in all of my literary books and I just think it's time that I got this one under my belt.

Books I bought yesterday:

Half Broken Things - Morag Joss - Weird people living in an abandoned manor house.  You had me at manor house. Should be a good book.

People Are Unappealing - Sara Barron - This looks like one of my favorite kinds of books... kooky memoir of a young person.

Beowulf on the Beach - A book about books? Love it. It seems to have summaries of all the best books I've never read, but intend to read.

I got these three from the Buy 2 Get 1 Free table at Barnes and Noble.

Magazines I bought yesterday:

The Paris Review
O The Oprah Magazine
Writer's Digest
The Writer
Poets and Writers
Wallpaper
Fine Homebuilding Annual Houses Design Issue

I know I went on a bit of a magazine rampage yesterday. I know the lady that checks me out at Barnes and Noble is wondering when I find the time to read everything I buy from her. She seems to be rolling her eyes at me lately as I check out. She must know I am not going to be able to read The Brothers Karamazof, Oliver Twist,  and War and Peace before I come back and buy another arm load of books.

I'm going to try and stay out of the bookstore for the rest of the week. Hopefully there will be no more new purchases this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment