Monday, September 21, 2009

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane



This book has been everywhere in front of me lately on Amazon and all over the shelves at Barnes and Noble. The cover looked interesting and so did the blurb on the back, but I was hesitant. I finally bought it, and then finally finished reading it over the weekend.

It's the story of a graduate student who moves into her grandmother's old house and then tries to find an old book as research for one of her graduate student papers. It sounded good. It was set in Salem and Marblehead, MA which are two really cool and interesting places, and it involved witchcraft.

It started out soooooo slow, and it never really got to be a page turner. I love libraries more than most people, but the adventures in this book seemed to just follow Connie from library to library. Ohhhhh, Interesting. It was predictable and all of the 'mysteries' were so obvious that I was stunned that this book made it into print. It was technically perfect as far as the set up, the confidant, the love interest, the villian, but where were the suprises? Where was the heart and the compassion? The adverbs and adjectives seemed awkward and overused and to put it blatently Connie for all of her education was just plain stupid. The girl didn't even remember until the end of the book that her name was Constance and not Connie. WTF?
I was very disappointed.

After about the first four chapters when I could tell that the book wasn't going anywhere I went online to check the reviews on Amazon. All of the reviews seemed to be positive. Are they just her friends who are reviewing it? Am I the only one who thought it was just plain lackluster? The few reviews that I found that were not glowing seemed to say what I said above only in a more positive spin, but I'm not buying it.

The book sucked and I went ahead and read it anyway. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they were super bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment