Tuesday, October 15, 2013

All of Dickens


In the next year I intend to read all of Dickens.

I keep a rather large bound composition notebook where I write down all the books that I have read. I really only started this in earnest in January 2008. I read before then, but didn't write it down. If only I had kept librarian like records before 2008.

In looking through my list recently I noticed that I have read all of Thomas Hardy, Jane Austen and the Brontes, but what about Dickens?

Since 2008 I've only read two Dickens novels: A Tale of Two Cities and David Copperfield.
Great books, yes, but there are so many more.
I've never read Great Expectations. I've started it so many times and never finished. The movie with Ethan Hawke and Gweneth Paltrow really had a huge impact on me and yet still I have not read the book.

It will be number one on my list starting in January.

January: Great Expectations

February: Our Mutual Friend

March: Bleak House

April: Little Dorrit

May: Oliver Twist

June: Nicholas Nickleby

July: Dombey and Son

August: The Pickwick Papers

September: Hard Times

October: The Old Curiosity Shop

November: The Mystery of Edwin Drood

December: TBD Biography of Dickens

It will be difficult, but I will do it. The hardest part will be waiting to read all the other great new books that are coming out in 2014. After I've finished the Dickens novel for the month I'll try and squeeze in something new before the new month starts.

Any one want to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment