Monday, October 21, 2013

NaNoWriMo 13

This month I have been on a reading frenzy. I'm up to 7 already with 2 more almost done.

1. Fallen - Lauren Kate
2. Ajax Penumbra 1969 - Robin Sloan
3. Maxed Out - Katrina Alcorn
4. Ripped - Shelly Dickson Carr
5. The Fault in Our Stars - John Green
6. Carter Beats the Devil - Glen David Gold
7. The Riddle of the Labyrinth - Margalit Fox

and almost done with
8. The Wolves of Midwinter - Anne Rice
9. The Good Lord Bird - James McBride

All of them have been awesome in their own particular way but I'm thinking I may need to take a break from such exhaustive reading. I love to read obviously, but sometimes it just feels overwhelming to keep up with my TBR pile. The pressure is enormous especially when there are library due dates to deal with. My Kindle is full. My desk is full, and I have several issues of PW and the Horn Book yet to go thru. It's hard to keep up with all the good stuff I read about and that are recommended to me.

Next year I have my Dickens list I will work on, but maybe that will be all I will read.

If I could just keep a running list of books (that are not in my Amazon shopping cart) that I need to read as I come across them instead of buying and reserving at the library everything that I think I need to read I would have that ever so necessary time I need to write.

TBR right now.

1. The rest of John Green
2. The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt
3. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown - Holly Black
4. Dust and Shadow - Lyndsay Faye
5. A Spark Unseen - Sharon Cameron
6. Book of Ages- The Life and Opinions of Jane Franklin - Jill Lepore

That doesn't even account for all the other books I have on hold at the library.

November will have to be a sort of reading break.

That leads me to NaNoWriMo: the perfect November reading break.
I tried it once before and did pretty well. I didn't finish since the end of November is a flurry with school and family stuff. Then I got busy with school and haven't tried again. This year I'm thinking would be a great time to try again. No pressure, no planning, just a word count that I need to meet every day.
It sound like fun. It might be less exhausting that reading.
I have 10 days to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment